I have had the privilege of trying Karen Tree’s yummy damper around the campfire on a few of our camping trips. She has kindly shared her recipe for eveyone to enjoy!!
- Lion’s Scone Mix packet – half a packet
- 150ml milk
- Golden Syrup
- Raw Sugar
- Sultanas (optional)
- Butter and some extra Golden Syrup to serve
- mix up half the Lions scone mix with 150ml milk
- Add some Golden Syrup and a bit of raw sugar and sultanas.
- Put a dutch oven on your campfire and get it hot
- Use a griddle in your dutch oven to keep the damper off the bottom
- Grease a cake tin and put your damper mix into this, then sprinkle a little sugar over the top
- Place your cake tin on the griddle in your dutch oven and put this onto hot coals, also put hot coals onto the lid of your dutch oven.
- The damper takes approximately 20 to 40 minutes to cook, you can usually smell it when it is ready. Keep replacing the hot coals underneath and on top to maintain the heat and check it intermittently after the 20 minute mark.
- Once cooked, you can serve with butter and another drizzle of syrup on top.
You can try different ingredients as well, we have also used dried apricots and choc drops which was good. I did need to add a little more sugar to the scone mix for this.